Thursday, March 25, 2010

Belize, The Second

I realized on Saturday that I had been wearing shoes entirely too long.  Not on that day per say, but wearing them too long in life.  I decided to make Sunday the first shoeless day in... decades?  I got up and had a nice walkabout with my lovely new English friend Jo complete with breakfast at a locals spot that had tasty pancakes.  I then sprinted around in my rush to catch Lili, fun new Canadian friend, and sail boat to the reefs.  The two of us ended taking a smaller motor boat on which I worked on my sunburn and she had her first snorkeling adventure. In fact, our group went to 3 different spots.  I managed to give a shark a belly rub, pet a sting ray, and nearly swim into a moray eel (note: they are dragons).

When we got back to the island I read some more For Whom the Bell Tolls and napped in a hammock.  Leaving was looking less and less appealing.  As such, I decide losing my debt card would be a phenomenal idea and might just do the trick to get me stuck in paradise.  It didn't work.  I had emergency funds and was able to cancel my card. (I live in fear of the roaming bill from Verizon...)  The group then attempted to defend our 1st place finish in trivia but ended up taking 3rd after a narrowly won tie breaker that involved my past-its-prime chugging prowess.  Later, the Reggae club, with even less 'shit going down', was still a good time and ever enjoyable with the crew I'd been lucky enough to take up with.

So sadly, sorrily, I grabbed a cup of coffee, made a sacrifice of 5 belizean dollars to the wind gods, and got on a water taxi to Belize City Sunday morning.  And that was my adventure...

A couple quotes and observations
"I remember going to work. I don't envy you."  Jo :o(
International travelers, almost across the board, smoke. :o(
The stereotypes are not based on the ones who leave.  My thoughts on americans
"You are so ENGLISH!"  Rod (an aussie) to Jo upon her producing a Tea bag from thin air at a bar :o)
"My vacation is almost over. I have to go back in just 3 more weeks."  Lili :o(
"Anyone for Yahtzee?" both Norwegian girls ;o)
"We don't like the Americans." when Tanya was asked who the Norwegians dislike in sport/life

      cheers ~ben

No comments:

Post a Comment